“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.” – Maya Angelou
Resilience has been a keyword here at My Refuge House for the past couple of weeks as we have been discussing how to promote resilience in ourselves and in the girls at the shelter. Given this I wanted to share a few keys ways on how you can foster personal resilience.
Resilience is the ability to bounce back after hardships; some of us are very good at this because resilience has been positively fostered in us throughout our life in numerous ways. Others lack the ability to effectively regain footing due to various reasons. Whether you rebound like a champ or struggle getting up, everyone desires for healthy ways of managing stress, depression, failure.
I Am, I Have, I Can Mantra
One way to begin fostering resilience is the method of: I Am, I Have, and I Can. These are popular tenants in resiliency and they can be used as an effective mantra.
- Take a seat
- Pull out a pen and sheet of paper, and write I am, I have, and I can.
- Reflect for a moment on each of these.
- Write down a list of attributes for each one.
- Now ponder and absorb how strong all of these make you.
This is an incredible source of empowerment. You can be changed by many circumstances throughout life, but this does not mean you have to be brought low because of them.This method/mantra is simple, powerful, and easy for you run through no matter where you are or what you are doing. It helps you focus on your strengths, the blessings in your life, and the mountains you can overcome.
There are also daily tasks you can do to create a vigorous and robust lifestyle immune to threatening situations. The key is to design a healthy rhythm of frequent practice so the distressing times won’t seem as difficult, and not only use them once bad times hit.
- Balance the pleasurable and perfunctory aspects of life.
- Understand your limits and set clear boundaries.
- Make of list of events, people, and resources you find relaxing and utilize them.
- Eat healthy foods which give you power, focus, and enjoyment.
- Sleep is essential and should be given a priority in your life.
- Process and reflect throughout your days by taking time to be still and ruminate.
I hope you have found these helpful and I would love to hear if you have any thoughts or ideas to add!